Hello everyone! I’m thrilled to be here today to share my latest project … a set of ‘you complete me’ LOVE mugs. This set would be a great gift for someone special OR for that special couple. With Valentine’s Day and wedding season just around the corner … you may just want to make a couple sets!
I love a good homemade gift … and I love a good thrift store find. This project just happens to involve both! When I spotted these white Crate and Barrel mugs at Goodwill the other week, I knew I would find a way to put them to good use! At $0.99, I really couldn’t go wrong … right?!?!
If your Goodwill doesn’t happen to have these beauties, Ikea and Target are also great sources of inexpensive plain white mugs. Besides the mugs, you’ll need:
- Adhesive letter stencils. You could use a variety of stencils here (purchased letter stencils, stencils made with a Silhouette or Cricut and adhesive vinyl, etc). I ended up using letter stickers from Target (sold in the poster aisle). Instead of using the letters themselves (as I’m sure most people use these for, I used the outsides to form the stencil).
- Embossing powder in two colors
- White / clear stamp pad
- Heat gun
- Stick your letter stencils onto your mugs. LO on one (handle facing left); VE on the other mug (handle facing right).
- Put a little extra adhesive vinyl or painters tape around letter stencils just to make sure the stamp pad ink only goes on the inside of the letters.
- ‘Stamp’ the letters with your stamp pad as shown. Make sure to cover all corners and edges. The embossing powder will stick to any surface with the ink on it.
- Once all letters are covered with stamp pad ink, apply your embossing powder to the letters. I applied the pink to the tops of the letters first, followed by the gold on the bottoms of the letters.
- Carefully peel off stencil and all extra tape/vinyl leaving just the letters with loose powder.
- Using heat gun, melt powder to mug, and … you’re COMPLETE!
I just love how these turned out! The letters are raised just a bit to create some texture. They’re dishwasher safe (which is a must … at least to me), so they should last year after year! I love the idea that you need the pair to spell LOVE. So sweet and
Now, wrap ’em up, tie a cute gift tag on them, and give a special handmade (and very affordable) gift this year!