I recently saw nail polish marbling recently on pinterest and thought it was a really interesting concept…. I just had to try it out! So I headed to the thrift store and found these white mugs for 99cents. I just recently had friends in town visiting and we drank A LOT of coffee out of my small little mugs, you know the ones.. they come with the dinnerware set that you register for when you get married. You end up drinking 3 coffees because they are so small? Yeah, those ones. Well I was SO HAPPY to find these large mugs and blank white color was an added plus! Perfect to marble. I just wish I would’ve made these sooner so my friends could have enjoyed them with me.
When I was at the thrift store I picked up this plastic tub for $3 which will now be deemed my “official marbling tub” going forward. The tub gets covered in nail polish so it needs to be something you can throw away or use only for craft projects. I had the nail polish left over from my Pretend Makeup For Kids Post and the thrift store mugs cost $1 for the set. I used a finishing clear spray that i already had in my craft supplies. Easy, cheap project!
The steps to this are really simple-
- 1. Buy something simple at the thrift store
- 2. Fill up the tub with 1/2″ of water and sprinkle globs of nail polish into it
- 3. Dip your items into the tub and cover as much as you can (it gets thick and globby if you have to dip again so try to do it only once
- 4. Pull out and let dry before going back and doing the handle section
- **Not Pictured- Dip the handle section in as well. Then let everything dry for a few hours.
- Next you will want to clean out the inside and the top rim of the mug using nail polish remover so there is no excess Nail Polish in there.
- Last step is not pictured, I simply sprayed the outside of the cup with clear coat glossy finishing spray. Krylon and Rustoleum both make clear gloss spray for under $4 that you can get at home depot or amazon.
That is it! It was really fun to do the marbling and choose the colors. I also made a few other things that I picked up from the thrift store… as pictured below… my daughter REALLY wanted to be part of the action, I had to keep her from reaching up and grabbing things the whole time!
I hope you enjoyed this post.. have a great weekend!
**Post Update: I wanted to add a note here to let everyone know that I have tested these mugs thoroughly and can safely say that they are both microwave and dishwasher safe. No sign of wear and tear after a month of constant use. I addressed a few other questions in the comment section below 🙂
Make sure to stop by my NEW SohoSonnet Print Shop on Etsy!